It’s hard to believe in today’s society, but nearly two million people are reported to live off the grid. Due to widely available information on the internet, more and more people are learning about bushcraft and survival skills.
Table of Contents
What is Bushcraft?
Have you heard people talking about this and wondered what is bushcraft exactly, or what kind of people are bushcrafters? Keep reading to find out what bushcraft is and why you need to learn some basic wilderness living skills to use in any natural environment or survival situation.
The use of the word “Bushcraft” can be traced back hundreds of years to “the bush” of Australia, where “bush” means the same thing as “wilderness” — undeveloped land still in a state of nature. But, as usual, the word “Bushcraft” means different things to different people.
To some, it’s a more or less spiritual way of living that strengthens your appreciation of life and gives you a deeper understanding of the natural world. Others in the bushcraft community see it more casually, as like being on an extended camping trip.
Bushcraft can also be seen as a sort of sport that challenges and develops your personal abilities. And there are those who focus on bushcraft teaching us lessons that apply just as well to modern life, like how to do more with less.
But there is a common thread to these different views. Bushcraft is the knowledge and set of skills required to survive in the wilderness with minimal supplies and only a few fairly primitive tools. It enables you to live by using the natural resources you can gather from the area you find yourself in.
You may wonder what the difference is between bushcraft and plain wilderness survival. Survival situations are temporary emergencies you’re forced into, while bushcraft is typically seen as something you do on purpose for as long as you want.
These skills include a wide variety of skills such as tracking, fire lighting, hunting, trapping, fishing, foraging edible plants, and navigation with or without a map.
One of the most fundamental bushcraft skills is learning how to start a fire without matches in difficult weather situations like rain, snow, and high winds. There are many methods for lighting fires beyond using matches and lighters. These can include using a ferro rod, a fire steel, or a bow drill.
Mastering the ability to transport fire is also important for bushcraft and survival.
Another one of the survival skills that is important to learn is shelter building. You probably don’t want to live your whole life outdoors, exposed to the elements. In some environments, that’s not even a serious option. Your shelter can be as basic as that age-old quick fix the lean-to, or even a permanent structure like a log cabin. Some people bring a tarp along to cover the ground or use as a makeshift tent.
It is also important to learn how to make and use bushcraft tools like hatchets (sometimes using natural materials) and be able to track animals as part of your bushcraft training and survival skills. This will ensure you can find enough wild food to eat.
The bushcraft skill set goes beyond day-to-day survival, though. It also includes wood carving, basket weaving, and making your own clothing from animal hides. Serious bushcrafters even make their own rope from natural fibers.
What Do Bushcraft Beginners Need?
It can be a little daunting when you first ask what is bushcraft because there are so many suggestions about which tools you should have.
It is possible to assemble a bushcraft gear kit without spending too much money. Be sure to have something to sleep in or on. Try a sleeping bag or tarp. As a safety precaution, think about having a mylar blanket to deal with sudden temperature changes.
You’ll also want a water filter to purify water that you gather from natural sources.
When preparing for the wilderness, multi-purpose bushcraft knives are a must. As well as a metal container to cook in, and some sort of waterproof pack. Look for products that are designed to help start fires as well. This will be important for cooking and keeping warm.
Be sure to shop around for bushcraft tools that can serve multiple functions. For example, a paracord bracelet can be used to make a shelter or to start a fire. An item like this can come in handy while living in the wilderness and honing your skills.
But don’t forget that the most important bushcraft tool is your brain. Gaining the knowledge you need should be your first priority. There are in-person bushcraft courses available in various places. And there are some good books available, like the highly respected “Bushcraft 101” by Dave Canterbury and “Bushcraft” by Mors Kochanski .
What is the point of Bushcraft?
Regardless of what level you work towards in practicing bushcraft, there are many benefits. Learning to become less reliant on modern day items can carry over into your everyday life, helping you protect the environment by decreasing waste and oil use.
Focusing on learning bushcraft skills can also be very personally rewarding. Facing and overcoming obstacles while building up your self-reliance helps you increase your sense of self-worth and makes you grow as a person. And if you go into the wilderness with a team, you can focus on cooperation and team-building skills.
Additionally, learning bushcraft skills can help you become better at problem-solving by forcing you to work with limited resources. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention.
Now that you know the answer to what is bushcraft and understand why it is important… you may be ready to jump into the wilderness with your fellow bushcrafters and show off your wilderness skills. Check out some essential flashlights and get going!
- The ultimate settler survival tool set: Scotch eye auger, pocket chainsaw, leveraging wooden rod. All neatly organized and packed in a camouflage style, three-layer, portable bag.
- Scotch eye auger drill: Drill perfect holes you need with the auger drill. Simply insert the included leveraging wooden rod and drill with increased torque and efficiency and no need to find a suitable rod. The scotch eye can be used to make pegs, simply aim at the center of a branch and hammer through.
- Chain saw: Create wood parts with your desired length to work with. It saves your precious time wasted on locating a suitable scrap wood. Premium strengthened build and teeth placement, cuts through wood with ease and improves efficiency.
- Heavy duty & razor sharp: The tools are made of hardened, oxidized, heavy duty steel with maximized sturdiness and durability. With high standard hand welding, these tools are made to last. Individually milled cutting edge on the auger provides consistent and efficient drilling result. A self-tapping pilot screw is integrated to the auger to improve accuracy and stability.
- A trusty outdoor companion: The perfect tool set for camping, bushcrafting, backpacking, hiking sessions etc. With the practical survival gears, your outdoor adventure will be even more exciting and joyful.
- Made in America – Proudly handcrafted in the USA using the finest materials. This 2-Part fire starter pendent contrasts a cream white Zirconia (ZrO2) Ceramic “Scraper” punctuated against a black chamfered Ferrocerium barrel toggle. Our industry standard wearable fire starters have been reviewed, tested and consistently used by the best survival instructors and endorsed by the top survival schools in the USA.
- Unisex Design – Adjustable up to 26″ and looks equally great on Flower Power Hippy Chicks as well as Bearded Bear-Wrestling Lumberjacks (…and everyone in between). Stylish and comfortable to keep on 24/7 no matter what journey you’re on. Worn and relied on by winning contestants of popular TV shows Naked and Afraid on Discovery Channel and ALONE on the History Channel.
- Knotted – Rich mahogany cowhide brown leather, tied with adjustable double fisherman’s bend and alpine butterfly loop. This provides a classic look with the perfect balance between durability and comfort. The Bushcraft Necklace is designed to be a weekday accessory that can become a weekend lifesaver!
- Reliable Sparks – Shower your tinder with 3,315 °C (6,000 °F) sparks to ensure your Bushcraft fire starter necklace will perform in whatever weather or altitude you venture into. Comes with bees waxed jute tinder to practice your fire starting skills.
- Worry Less Warranty – Our gear is engineered to be used without worry and designed to be loved. We stand behind our product that you will be 100% satisfied.
- The Ultimate Survival Tools – This Hand Auger might be the most important piece of survival gear and equipment you own. Making an emergency shelter is a breeze with our bushcraft gear Settlers Wrench.
- Bushcraft Tools and Camping Tools – Carry this outdoor bush craft wood auger when you’re outdoors camping, hiking, backpacking, bushcrafting, EDC or building with primitive cabin tools in the wild.
- Scotch Eye Wood Auger Hand Drill- The first step is turning the 1 inch wood auger drill bit where you want a hole (Use a stick through the eye for leverage making the scotch eye auger drill simple).
- Peg Maker – Another part of this survival multitool is the peg tool. The scotch eyed auger is has a cutting point for a peg wrench. Hammer into a branch for a peg the same size as the wood auger bit.
- Camping Survival Gear – Throw it in your bushcraft backpack as your ultimate bushcraft tool over other manual primitive tools and bushcraft survival tools. Even comes complete with a leather sheath!
- WATERPROOF & UV PROTECTION – Hammock Camping Tarp made of 210T ripstop polyester fabric with 2500 PU waterproof rating, enhanced the shelter’s waterproof function and offers long-lasting protection, strengthen tear resistant & puncture resistant material without any worries. FREE SOLDIER Backpacking Tarp also can be put up as awning is effectively for blocking ultraviolet ray and protect your skin from the sun.
- STRONG & STABLE – This Camping Awnings using heat sealing and melting process, well combined with the puncture-resistant fabric, water penetration would never happened. Reinforced ridgeline seam, well prevent the connector from falling off, showing excellent protection performance for continuous stormy weather, reliable, durable and safe.
- HEAVY DUTY & PORTABLE – Large size in 118″ × 126″ when expended, enough for 2 persons. It’s convenient to folded and put into a lightweight stuff sack when not in use, essential tarp gear for your outdoor travel. Net weight: 1.2kg(42oz), not super light but heavy duty, you can consider of the thickness of the fabric, excellent quality, value for money price.
- ACCESSORIES & SIMPLE TO OPERATE – Comes with everything of survival backpacking items: 1 hammock rain fly, 4 nylon guy lines with tensioners and 1 stuff sack. Rectangle shelter with 19 guy points and 5 strengthen grommet points which gives you the most coverage. Easy to set up into ground sheet and hammock shelter to avoid wind and rain.
- OUTSTANDING QUALITY – FREE SOLDIER Waterproof Portable Tarp apply to heavy duty operating, tactical, military, shelter, hunting, fishing, backpacking, traveling, hiking, working, camping and other outdoor adventure etc. Your satisfaction and happy is our pursuit.
- 🔥 [EASY-TO-USE BOW DRILL FIRE STARTER KIT] Keep drilling the fire board vertically until producing smoke by friction with the wrapped sting of the bamboo handle, then you can make the fire. Whoever can quickly get started, easily experience and master the primitive fire method.
- 🏅 [HIGH-QUALITY] Bow and handle are made of high-quality bamboo, the surface is smooth and does not hurt your hands.fire board uses high-quality paulownia wood and reserve 10 holes. The inner core of the rope uses 7 high-strength polyester cores with strong bearing capacity and good wear resistance.
- 🛠 [CONVENIENT AND DURABLE] Thickened high-quality wood, matched with high-carbon steel bearings and ropes, the number of rotations can reach more than tens of thousands of times. We have already assembled the product, and it also comes with jute tinder, you can use it as soon as you receive it, no need to assemble it by yourself.
- 👦 [GOOD GIFT] It’s a good fire starter survival tool for scout or outdoor explorers to train and teach, and also a good outdoor educational tool, which can develop the patience, persistence, attentiveness, concentration, and outdoor emergency survival capability.
- ✔ [SERVICE GUARANTEE] Your satisfaction is our top priority, please rest assured to purchase our products. If you are not satisfied with our products or have any questions, please feel free to contact us by Amazon message at any time.
- 【High-Quality Construction】Our Bushcraft Auger is made from sturdy thick high carbon steel and stays sharp, ensuring durability and strength for all your drilling and borehole needs.
- 【Leather Sheath】Made of durable thick genuine leather and good stitching, strong snaps are easy on and off. Leather sheath adds protection for the blade and your body. Easy carry under your belt or on a ring on pack when you hiking.
- 【Settler’s Wrench】Also known as a Scotch Eye Wood Auger or Hand Auger Wood Drill, our Bushcraft Hand Auger Wrench helps you dig precise and clean holes whether on campsite or in the wilderness.
- 【Ergonomic Design】Our Bushcraft Hand Auger Wrench is designed with an ergonomic handle for a comfortable grip while you work.
- 【Multipurpose Use】Our hand auger wrench can also be used for planting, gardening, carpentry, and other outdoor activities, making it a versatile addition to your bushcraft gear.Kosibate offers life time warranty on our scotch eye wood drill peg and leather sheath , guarantee with 100% satisfaction service.
- [Durable and Waterproof]:The waterproof camping tent tarp is made of high density 210T polyester with PU 3000mm waterproof coating which durable enough to prevent scratches.Our tent tarp is not only waterproof and rainproof, but also an excellent sunshade for UV protection, dust and snow protection. In any weather, you will be safe and sheltered.
- [Multifunctional Camping Tarp]:The camping tarp can be used as a multi-functional shelter which have many different ways to use and perfectly suitable for camping, hiking, climbing, fishing,backpacking, sporting events, festivals, picnics, gardens, beach activities, family gatherings, backyard parties. You can unfold the camping tarp and lay it on ground use as picnic mat and tent footprint. Also can use the pegs and ropes to set up as the sun canopy,rain tarp or hammock rain fly.
- [Easy to Set Up]: The half-folding square tarp only needs to be unfolded, and then the aluminum ground nails are inserted through the thread holes according to the shape of the tent, and the thread holes are pulled up with the nylon rope to provide you with maximum 360-degree protection after completion , The operation is very simple, it only takes a few minutes to complete the entire camping tarp erection.
- [Easy to Carry]: The waterproof camping tarp can be packed in a compact size and put into the sturdy storage bag, provides extra convenience for carrying and hiking.
- [100% SATISFACTION CUSTOMER SERVICE]: We make high-quality gear,If for any reason you do not love your rain fly tarp or product defects let us know and we will take care of you no questions asked. We have a professional American customer service team,our team will happy to help answer any questions.
- Size: Small 6 x 6 inch (15 x 15cm). Food grade 304 Stainless Steel Bushcraft Cooking Grill Grate, Strong and Lightweight. (Small Grill & Bag ONLY)
- Burlap Hemp Drawstring Carrying Bag included. Made from natural and sustainable materials.
- Great for Outdoor Camping, Hiking, Hunting, Fishing, Travel and RVs. Cook food quickly and easily with these versatile stainless steel grills.
- Compact Lightweight Strong and Durable. Great for Bushcraft Backpacking & Hiking and Campfire Rated.
- Great for Camping, Backpacking, Hunting, Fishing, Bushcraft & Bug Out Emergency Survival Kit. Use At Your Own Risk!
- FORAGING BELT BAG: Leather Waxed Canvas Pouch perfect companion to carry with you while outdoors, a minimal carry when on the belt but a larger container when opened up to carry whatever you may see whilst walking in the countryside – bottle of water ,flowers, mushrooms, shells, treats for your pets, beach foraging. Take it with you to the gun range to collect your spent brass, gather fire starting materials- kindling, paper, fat pine, dry leaves, or twigs
- FORAGING BELT POUCH: goes on your belt (up to1.7” wide) with two sturdy snaps so it is easy to put on and off. The bag is made of waxed canvas and leather straps.which holds up great to the elements. The 100 % cotton fabric will show scratches and become distressed but will continue to look better over time as it develops its own patina
- BUSHCRAFT BELT BAG MEASURES: 8.5X7cm when folded. Unfoled gives you 19x11x9cm sack which can also be a great EDC item for many tasks for the outdoors to home
- CONVENIENT & PORTABLE: Carry waxed canvas pouch on your belt, backpack strap or tucked away in whatever you are carrying. When needed, simply open the snaps on the flap and unfold the bag to stash your found items. when not in use the pouch folding away, then save you space
- GREAT GIFT FOR YOU: Beautiful bushcraft bags that can be used for all your outing adventures. A nice gift for yourself, man or boys /girls who interested in adventure or family who is prepping for camping or hiking or boy scouts
- 【Durable Material】75D Nylon of high durability and super ripstop with PU coating for 1500mm waterproof rating, durable to protect you well in pouring rains yet still breathable
- 【Multifunctional Rain Gear】A raincoat that comes with everything needed for a basic pitch to be minimalist shelter that with good build quality and performed well , a good add up for your survival kit, ideal for camping, hiking, backpacking, fishing, bushcrafters, outdoor survivalists, etc
- 【Tactical Style】High quality double closure YKK zippers front; Adjustable hoodie with bungee cords; Large patch space on the arm sleeves for shoulder emblems and morale patches, poncho sleeves serve as airflow vents when setup as a shelter
- 【Large Size】Suitable for people taller than 5.57ft (170cm), with or without backpack, it’s wide and big enough to provide full coverage and will not restrict your movement
- 【Adventure Free】Comes with DIY setup kit of 6 tent pegs and 3 guy-lines, while weighs only 22.5oz (640g), use it in a pair to get a full teepee tent set up | NO POLE INCLUDED